vegan butternut squash cake
Vegan cooking, for me, is all about creative substitutions - not necessarily just learning tricks like using applesauce or banana instead of egg, but also about the opportunity to use ingredients in new and different contexts. I’m sorry to admit that I save a lot of my best risk-taking ideas for vegan cooking, maybe because I assume that people who are used to eating outside the mainstream will be more open-minded eaters. This butternut squash cake (based on a vegan pumpkin cake recipe) rose perfectly and came out scrumptiously moist with a gooey crust on top, helped along by the glaze. I think even the more carnivorous members of my family will be back for seconds.
Vegan butternut squash cake:
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 + 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive, as I don’t mind it in desserts, but try sunflower or safflower for a lighter taste)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soymilk or coconut milk
- Cut squash into quarters and place in a shallow baking pan filled with about a quarter inch of water. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for about forty-five minutes, until squash is bubbling and fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together sugar, oil and juice in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices and mix well.
- Once squash is cooked, let cool, then scoop flesh into bowl with cake mixture, omitting seeds and skin. Mix together well. Add more apple juice if needed. You want the consistency of a thick cake batter without lumps.
- Pour into a greased 8”x8” or loaf pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While baking, mix together powdered sugar, maple syrup and soymilk to form a liquidy glaze. When cake has been in oven for 25 minutes, pour the glaze evenly over the top of the cake.
- Return cake to oven for an additional 5-10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.